Thursday, March 14, 2013
The Sugar Addiction
Sugar is all around us, hidden in almost all processed and prepared foods. It is addicting and causes a biological response as depicted in this diagram.
Breaking the cycle does take work and being conscious to avoid foods that contain added sugars. Next time you crave that sugary snack think of this process that is going on in your body..... Try eating protein or fat instead which keeps you feeling full longer and more satisfied in the long run.
Some good snack choices include:
1. a handful of almonds or other nuts - preferable raw and unsalted. Soaking the nuts in water overnight can also enhance their nutrition and make them easier to digest.
2. Natural, whole grain or gluten free crackers with coconut butter/oil
3. Fruit - like apples or grapefruit
4. Kale chips - you can make them at home or store bought
5. Try this tip when you are craving sugar but are not really hungry: 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds in a glass of water. The seeds expand in your stomach and have fiber and healthy fats that help fill you up.
What are some of your go to snacks?